This past weekend we had a few people over on Saturday night and I really wanted to try making something different for dessert. I wanted to make individually portioned desserts, but I also wanted to try making something completely new. I thought about doing cupcakes or cookies or squares — but that just didn’t seem interesting enough. Then after some internet browsing I came across a recipe for dessert shooters, which are desserts individually portioned in shot glasses.
Now I am always a sucker for a deliciously tart lemon dessert and since Spring is on its way (well, hopefully eventually) I thought something lemony would make for a light and refreshing dessert.
I followed Ina Garten’s recipe for lemon curd and then layered it with whipped cream and graham cracker crumbs in a shot glass to recreate the taste of a lemon tart.
Lemon Tart Dessert Shooters
- 4 lemons, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Remove the zest from the lemons using a lemon peeler, being careful to avoid the white pith.
- Squeeze the lemons to give you about 1/2 cup of lemon juice, set aside.
- Put the zest and sugar in a food processor or powerful blender and process for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the zest is very finely minced.
- Fill a pot with a couple of inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Put the butter and lemon-sugar mixture into a metal bowl that will fit on top of the pot on the stove.
- Once the pot of water is boiling, turn it down to a simmer. Put the metal bowl on top of the pot and mix until the butter and sugar are melted together.
- Add the eggs one at time and then mix in the lemon juice and salt.
- Continually whisk the curd, until thickened, for about 10 minutes.
- Take the bowl off the heat and allow to cool before pouring into a piping bag. Allow the curd to fully cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 TBSP melted butter
- Mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until it forms a crumbly mixture.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP powdered sugar
- Before whipping the cream, place your beaters in the freezer to get them nice and cold.
- Put the cream in a bowl and beat on high.
- When the cream reaches the soft peak stage, add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue mixing until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overheat.
- Spoon the whipped cream into a piping bag and put in the fridge.
Assembling the Shooters
- Start with a layer of the graham cracker crumbles, then pipe in some lemon curd and then some whipped cream.
- Repeat the process one more time and then top with a small lemon wedge.
- Keep the shooters in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
I wasn’t sure how these were going to turn out, but they ended up being fairly easy to put together. And on top of that they tasted great and looked pretty awesome. Everyone really loved the dessert, so I would certainly make it again. The fun thing about these shooters too, is that you can take this concept and switch it up. Make a lime curd instead of lemon or crush up shortbread cookies instead of graham crackers, whatever appeals to you!