Whenever I browse through Pinterest I always admire all of the cute baking ideas. The problem is that I rarely have a reason to try any of the recipes out. That and they often just seem like way too much work. With Halloween coming up, there are all sorts of adorable cupcakes all over Pinterst and these Graveyard Cupcakes caught my eye.
We had a Halloween lunch at work on Friday, which was the perfect excuse to make adorable Halloween cupcakes.
- one dozen of your favourite chocolate cupcakes
- your favourite icing recipe
- package of Oreos
- small candy pumpkins
- Bake your cupcakes. Ensure they are perfectly cool before you start decorating them.
- Separate 6 Oreos and scrape off the icing.
- Very gently and carefully use a serrated knife to trim off 2 of the sides of each Oreo half to make the “tombstones”.
- Crush up the Oreo trimmings, plus 3 or 4 more cookies (with the icing scraped off). Set aside.
- Make your icing. Put the icing into a piping bag or if you don’t have a piping bag use a large, heavy duty zip lock bag. Use a very fine tip on the piping bag or just trim the tip of the freezer bag. Now, pipe “RIP” onto the flat side of your Oreo tombstones. Set aside and allow the icing to set.
- Use a larger tip on your piping bag or trim more off the end of the freezer bag to make a larger opening and use the remaining icing to ice the top of the cupcakes.
- Finally, the fun part– decorating! Push one tombstone into the top of each cupcake. Surround with the Oreo crumble and finish with a small candy pumpkin.
I have to admit the cupcakes turned out really well. I was super impressed with myself. But, the cupcakes were also incredibly tedious to make. One dozen cupcakes took about 3 hours when all was said and done — so 12 was more than enough.
I brought the cupcakes in to work where my friends, Ivy and Sonia, had also made some delicious treats for our Halloween lunch dessert table. And just look at that spread, pretty great right?
Happy Saturday and Halloween!