As promised, here is the recipe for Lauren’s Chickpea Salad, one of the most voted for recipes from the potluck. This recipe comes from the newest Looneyspoons cookbook “The Looneyspoons Collection.” I also own this cookbook and have been really happy with most of the recipes I have made from the book. They are usually quite simple, but also fairly healthy and very yummy. The funny thing about these recipes, however, is that they all have silly names. For example this Chickpea Salad recipe is called Red, White and Yahoo!
Red, White and Yahoo!
– 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
– 1 cup mini fresh mozzarella balls, halved (4 oz/113 g – see tip below)
– 1/3 cup minced red onions
– 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Add the ingredients in the order listed to a large bowl and mix will.
2. The salad may be served immediately,or salad can stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour before serving. Since tomatoes tend to lose their flavour when refrigerated, we recommend you add them at the last-minute if you’re preparing this salad in advance.
Tip: Look for fresh mini mozzarella balls, called “mini bocconcini”, in small, cottage-cheese-like
containers where you buy specialty cheeses at your grocery store or ask for them at the deli-cheese
counter. Fresh mozzarella is completely different from regular mozzarella. It’s very soft, white,
Thanks for sharing this super healthy and delicious recipe, Lauren!